Today I have a fun little pattern to share with you! One of my closest friends recently got engaged, and decided she is going to have a destination wedding in Mexico. I wanted to send her a little something to commemorate the occasion, so I decided to make a luggage tag that she could attach to her wedding dress bag when she goes on the plane!
The heart is meant to be wide and shallow, so it is easier to fit the letters on.
Bride Luggage Tag Pattern
Any worsted or aran weight yarn (I used Caron Simply Soft in watermelon and white)
5.00 mm hook
yarn needle and scissors
stiff felt for backing
Pattern is using US terms
Ch 1 at end of row does not count as a stitch
1) Using main colour, ch 2, 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 1, turn (2)
2) 2 sc in each st, ch 1, turn (4)
3) sc inc, sc x 2, sc inc, ch 1, turn (6)
4) sc inc, sc x 4, sc inc, ch 1, turn (8)
5) sc inc, sc x 6, sc inc, ch 1, turn (10)
6) sc inc, sc x 8, sc inc, ch 1, turn (12)
7) sc inc, sc x 10, sc inc, ch 1, turn (14)
8) sc inc, sc x 12, sc inc, ch 1, turn (16)
9) sc inc, sc x 14, sc inc, ch 1, turn (18)
10-14) sc across, ch 1, turn (18)
15) sc2tog, sc x 14, sc2tog, ch 1, turn (16)
16) sc2tog, sc x 5, sl st x 2, sc x 5, sc2tog, ch 1, turn (14)
17) sc2tog, sc x 4, sl st 2 tog, sc x 4, sc2tog, ch 1, turn (11)
18) sc, dc, tc, dc, sc, sl st, sc, dc, tc, dc, sc (11)
Break yarn and weave in ends
Join alternate colour yarn at top middle of heart, sc all around. Add in 2 sc to stitches around fattest part of heart, and 3-4 sc at bottom point. Once all around join with sl st to start of edge, and make a deep slip stitch to accentuate the heart top. Finish by chaining a strap, making it as long as desired.
Create the letters by slip stitching through the heart in the desired shape with your alternate colour. While I made the word "bride", you could make any word or name!
Place heart on some stiff felt to trace out a heart pattern. You want the felt heart to be slightly smaller then the crochet heart. Hot glue the felt heart to the back of the crochet heart, and voila! Adding the felt has two purposes - it stiffens the crochet heart to make it more durable and help hold its shape, and it also covers the back of the slip stitched letters.
Now I just may need to make a bridesmaid one for myself!