Friday 17 May 2013

meet.make.spring crochet cowl.

Spring crochet cowl

Spring has officially sprung around here! Amidst all the baby knitting and crocheting I have been working on, I also decided to make myself a lighter spring crochet cowl. Even though the sun is shining, I still manage to get a chill in my office at work all day. 

I purchased this yarn while I was in Germany last fall, and decided it would be perfect for the cowl. I loved the rich berry colour and it seemed nice and light. 

Materials:

2 balls Lana Grossa Alta Moda Fine Yarn (or any DK weight yarn)
Size 5 crochet hook

Spring crochet cowl
Pattern: 

Chain 98. Making sure not to twist, slip stitch into first chain to form a loop. 

Round 1: Chain 2. Starting in the first stitch after the slip stitch, double crochet in each stitch around, then slip stitch into top of chain to join round. 
Round 2: Chain 4. Double crochet in 2nd chain from slip stitch (Chain 1, skip one stitch, double crochet) Repeat brackets until end of round, slip stitch into 2nd chain of beginning chain 4.
Round 3: Single crochet in each stitch around. (Make sure you crochet into each chain 1 as well the into the tops of the double crochet stitches to keep the same number of stitches around)

Repeat round 2 and 3 until desired thickness. 

End Round: Double crochet in each stitch around. Cut yarn and weave in end. 


Spring crochet cowl

This is my take on the filet crochet stitch, since I added in the single crochet rows to make it a bit thicker. By doing this though, you need to keep your single chains in row 2 nice and loose or it is hard to get the hook in!

Spring crochet cowl

I'm so happy how this turned out, and it fits perfectly under my rain jacket on cooler days. I must say though.... I am still looking forward to more sunny days where no crochet wear is needed!

Spring crochet cowl

What type of knit/crochet wear do you make for warmer weather?


6 comments:

  1. cute!!! well done :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The berry color is so pretty. The open weave makes it perfect for spring. So nice to be able to create something for yourself amidst all the baby items you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Looks so adorable! And the fact that the yarn is from Germany is so cool! :) I always get cold sometimes during the day, even in spring or summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice colour - I love finding yarn in different countries. When I was in BC at Christmas I got loads of Lion Brand as we can't get it back in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and comfy! Love the berry color! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to google what a cowl was. You're teaching me stuff!

    I love that rich color. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover